REPEAT PRESCRIPTION ORDERING SERVICE:
What is changing?
From 8th January 2018 pharmacies will no longer be able to order prescriptions on behalf of patients at this practice. If this change affects you please make arrangements to order your own prescriptions directly from the surgery. You or your carer can request your repeat prescription from the surgery in the following ways:
- On-line - the surgery offers on-line prescription ordering and appointment booking. You can also download an App to your phone. Please ask at reception for further details.
- In-person - By dropping your request in the prescription box in the waiting room.
- By post
Why is this happening?
Unused prescription medicines cost the NHS in England at least £300 million per year. Locally, (across Birmingham CrossCity CCG) that equates to a cost of up to £4.5 million every year.
Did you know £4.5 million could pay for:
- *177 more community nurses or
- *1213 more hip replacements or
- *297 more drug treatment courses for breast cancer or
- *4500 more drug treatment courses for Alzheimer's or
- *4682 more cataract operations
*based on average costs
Most patients are able to take responsibility for ordering their own repeat prescriptions. This is safer, and evidence from other areas in the country shows that it may reduce medicines waste.
Only you (or your carer) know what medicines you have already. When ordering repeat prescriptions please check what you have at home and avoid stockpiling medication. You will need to allow at least 48 hours for the prescription to be processed (excluding weekends).
NOTE – If you request your prescription on a Friday afternoon or at the weekend your prescription may not be available until the following Wednesday.
What is NOT changing?
Pharmacy prescription collection and delivery schemes will NOT be affected by this change. If you have signed up to have your prescription sent electronically to the pharmacy, this will not change.
How do I find out more?
Please ask for a letter/leaflet at reception.
If you feel you might need support ordering your repeat prescription, or you know someone who might need help, please contact the surgery.